Tarts and pies have a special place in my heart. I think it’s because as a child I was watching both my grandmothers making dough and baking a pie every other day. There is no need for a special occasion to bake a pie in a Greek home. You just have to have them at the table. Great habit don`t you think…?
I enjoy both to cook and to taste them and over the past years I have tried lots of different combinations. For this bacon and cheese tart though, I did not make the dough myself, due to limited time, but the taste is amazing and if unexpected company joins you at home, this dish can save the day (or the night).
You will need the following Ingredients:
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (left out of the fridge for 30 minutes to soften)
- 330ml heavy cream (or two small boxes)
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 10 slices of bacon (chopped and crispy fried)
- 600gr grated cheese (I usually use 3 kinds, Parmesan, cheddar and gouda)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil to fry
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Butter a glass pie plate and place the pie crust on it.
- Fry the sliced bacon until crispy and let it dry on a paper towel for a few minutes.
- Mix in a medium bowl the eggs, the heavy cream, the salt and pepper and let it aside.
- Mix the cheese on another bowl. Place it on the crust as a base.
- On top of cheese place the bacon, the chopped onions and the chopped pepper.
- Pour egg mixture on top and that`s it.
- Bake the tart for 40 minutes until it gets a golden color on top. (If the bottom of the crust is not ready yet, cover the top of your tart with some aluminum foil and bake for a couple of minutes more).
Quick and tasty and your family and friends will love you!! Enjoy!!
Have a great weekend!! 🙂