Visiting Pelion is one of the best things you can do.
It` s the place that makes you want to come back over and over. Winter or summer, is a fantastic travel destination, combining gorgeous green mountains and fantastic beaches with crystal blue waters.
I was there for a weekend a few months ago, enjoying all the beautiful small villages and tasting traditional recipes. I am sharing some moments from Makrinitsa village, otherwise called as “the balcony of Pelion” and the must-try local recipe, “Mpekri Meze”.
Mpekri Meze or drunken meze, is a spicy recipe, especially if you choose to add red chili peppers.
The basic ingredients are sausages and peppers but the rest of the ingredients, transform the taste of the dish. If I should describe it in one word, I would say, simply delicious.
You will need the following Ingredients:
- 2 large spicy country sausages, sliced
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can of tomatoes, chopped
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 1 small glass red wine, Greek Agioritiko
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Into a pan add a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the slice sausages. When ready, place them aside on kitchen paper to dry.
- Into a pot, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onion with the garlic for a minute. Add the peppers and sauté for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté for a minute.
- Add the red wine and stir well. Wait until is vaporised and add the sugar, the bay leaf and water.
- Turn the heat into medium and boil for 25 minutes.
- Add the sausages and boil for a few more minutes.
- Serve while still hot, with some bread and feta.
As far as the rest of the trip, it was amazing as it is always.
Enjoying a morning cup of coffee at this view, wandering around the local shops and buying local products is just dreamy.
The last image of the post is from the fantastic Kritsas hotel & restaurant in a village near by Makrinitsa, Portaria. That dinner was unforgettable.
Thank you so much for being here!!
Have a lovely day!!